I want to improve my writing
When I was writing in university classes, there are two difficulties I usually encountered:
1. I found it hard to express exactly.
Sometimes after writing, I released that what I've written count not show my opinion clearly. I think one reason is that the structure is not well organized enough. Compared with articles of professionals, mines are sometimes draggy, sometimes to rush. Because when I am writing, I usually hope to writes as clearly as I can, and think faster than write. While for some other paragraphs, I try to expend them longer to be "coherent". However, this makes my articles "unnatural"--they cannot grab readers’ attention continuously. The solution should be simple: plan well before writing, and follow the instructions in textbook step by step. As Dr. Sadorra suggests, I am a beginner, I should practice enough with the textbook first. Another reason is that my vocabulary is not enough. Sometimes when I need to explain a concept or an idea, it is not easy for me to find an appropriate word. I try to use some words else to instead, but it happens to often, making my article hard to read. So I am planning to improve my vocabulary by enroll into an English course during May, for vacation is a good time to study.
2. I found it hard to express natively.
English is a language that is very different from Chinese. We have studied it for years, but still feel uneasy to follow the style of native English speakers to talk and write. I think this is not an easy problem to solve. Chinese has very different grammar structures from other than English, we Chinese students are used to translate Chinese into English while writing. Common odd expressions may often be found in Chinese student's articles. I think there are two ways to improve in this part. First, the simplest way is doing more writings and follows the native speakers' work as much as possible, and I will be gradually used to some native expressions. Hopefully my course in vacation can help me. The other way is to try to "think in English". By doing this, we will eventually become better in English writing.
However, I didn't specify my writing here into "Academic Writing", because in my opinion, same thing I mentioned also apply to academic writing, and much easier, since most of the time we can follow a fixed style. Anyway, I will try to improve my academic writing also.
Thanks for reading!

0 comments:
Post a Comment